International student support

We can help you find the resources you need for immigration, work permits, and general academic support.

Welcome to our community of thinkers, shapers, makers and risk takers. We are students, faculty, staff and alumni rich in diversity of culture and thought, challenged to fearlessly explore what moves us, drives us, and implores us to see the world differently. We are Alberta’s only university dedicated to art and design. We want to introduce you to a whole new world of passionate minds, provocative thinker, ambitious doers and brave creators. Including the one in you. Alberta University of the Arts (AUArts) is so happy you’ve chosen to invest in your education with us!

Our diversity here on campus provides an intimate learning environment with a diverse faculty and student body. AUArts has hosted international students from many countries that include: Australia, China, Colombia, Germany, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia,  Mexico, Norway, the Philippines, Poland, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Iceland, the United Kingdom, UEA and the United States. 

Situated in the fifth largest city in Canada, Calgary is known for its outdoor activities from white water rafting to ice fishing to bobsledding. Alberta is home to the beautiful prairies and majestic Rockies

Resources for international students
We can help you find the resources you need for immigration, work permits, and general academic support. 


International Student Recruitment and Admissions Officer (for future students)
Office hours: Monday to Friday 8:00 am – 4 p.m. MST
Ph: 1.800.251.8290

International Student Advisor (for current students)
Office hours: Monday to Friday 8:00 am – 4 p.m. MST

The Tutoring and Writing Centre
Hours: Monday: 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM, Tuesday to Friday: 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM

International Student Information Webinars

We are pleased to announce a special partnership with the SAIT International Centre that allows our international students access to current webinars. 

All students will have access to scheduled webinars focusing on Working in Canada and the Post-Graduate Work Permit. 

Further details on sessions offered for Fall 2020 will be shared as the information becomes available.

International students seeking support should note that our AUArts contact for International Students, including our Exchange Students can be reached at


Can I pursue a BFA, BDes or MFA program on a study permit?

Yes. These programs are Designated and eligible to receive foreign nationals on study permit.

How do I get a Study Permit?

You must meet certain requirements to receive a Study Permit from Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada. You must present a letter of acceptance from the educational institution where you intend to study and demonstrate that you are able to: pay the tuition fees for the course or program of studies that you intend to pursue; and financially support yourself and any family members (if applicable) who are with you during your time of study. You should budget about $10,000+ CAD for living expenses in addition to the cost of tuition and books; and cover the cost of transportation for yourself and/or any family members (if applicable) to and from Canada. You must also provide proof of financial support while studying in Canada including: a letter from a bank confirming funds available in your account (NOTE: the letter must indicate your name and account number); or a copy of the letter giving the details about your scholarship or Canadian-funded educational program; or a letter from the person (specify their relationship to you) who provides financial assistance, explaining the arrangements made for your expenses.

May I work during my stay in Canada?

Yes. As of June 1, 2014, your Study Permit will also allow you to work on or off-campus. The work permit is valid for the duration of your Study Permit. In order to be eligible for the program, you must have a valid Study Permit, and you must be a full-time student at AUArts.

Do I have to register with AHCIP (Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan)?

Yes, all residents of Alberta must register themselves and their dependents with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan.